Using an EV granny charger in the UK is relatively simple, as domestic locations only have standard 13A sockets. In contrast, charging abroad can be a confusing minefield, with a range of different sockets which look deceptively similar, yet may be in incompatible even when they physically fit together.
Following extensive research and feedback from frustrated EV users, we developed the ModulEV EV charging extension system. ModulEV is a modular system, which enables the charging of an EV both within the UK and across Europe and Scandinavia. It provides a unique, simple, cost effective, compact and expandable solution:
- Connect the granny charger's 13A plug to the ModulEV 13A socket.
- The total length can be increased to a maximum of 25m by adding modular extension cables.
- Use the lead as an extension cable in the UK by connecting to the UK 13A adaptor.
- When you travel abroad, purchase the appropriate adaptor/s for the countries your journey will take you through. The ModulEV universal CEE7/7 plug adaptor can be connected to both Schuko and French sockets, providing a single solution for the majority of Europe and Scandinavia. A range of other adaptors are available to ensure that you can charge from any suitable domestic and many commercial sockets across Europe and Scandinavia.
- Each adaptor can be swapped within seconds by simply pressing the catch and twisting.
- Modular system enables expansion of the system as your travels progress.
The ModulEV® 13A socket unit is fitted with a weatherproof IP65 modular connector. Following an extensive search for a suitable connector and months of testing, we chose this one as it is widely being adopted as the universal standard for stage/event lighting. Its compact size (it can easily pass through a letter box or other restricted space), reliability and unique twist/lock design, make it ideal for this application. It is shown below against a standard CEE commando/camping connector for scale:
1. The 10m ModulEV 13A socket lead is connected to the 13A UK adaptor to create an extension lead to use with a 'granny' charger within the UK.
2. When travelling to France the UK adaptor is removed by simply pressing the button on the ModulEV connector and turning it 90 degrees. The Schuko/French adaptor is then connected; a change which takes a matter of seconds.
3. In Denmark the socket is further away from the EV, so a 10m modular extension cable is used in between the Danish adaptor and the ModulEV 13A socket lead.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated high quality 13A socket, compatible with all UK EV 'granny charger' 13A plugs.
- Socket can be locked shut with a small padlock with a maximum diameter of 5.5mm (not included).
- Weatherproof IP65 modular connector.
- Extension use 1.5mmsq cable for high current applications available in 2m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m and 25m lengths.
- Adaptors use 0.3m of the largest diameter H07RN-F rubber cable which will safely fit the specific plug:
- 2.5mmsq - IEC 230v (16A), IEC 415v (16A)
- 1.5mmsq - Universal Schuko/French adaptor (16A), Danish adaptor (16A), Italian adaptor (16A), Swiss adaptor (16A), UK (13A)
- 1mmsq - Italian adaptor (10A), Swiss adaptor (10A)
- Industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about this cable.
- PAT tested.
If you require an adaptor which is not listed, please do get in touch, as we can make adaptors for almost any international socket, many from stock.