These adaptors are only compatible with the Audi Compact Charging System using the 32A plug option circled below:
The Audi Compact Charging System is the portable charger, often known as the 'granny charger' supplied as standard with each car. The unit has two interchangeable cables:
- UK 13A plug adaptor, which enables connection to any suitable UK 13A socket. Audi state that the empty to full charge time using this method, which is limited to 10A, is 47 hours. Our standard travel adaptors can be used with the 13A plug.
- CEE IEC 60309 32A plug, often known as a 'Commando' plug, which enables the unit to be connected to 230v 32A industrial sockets. This allows the car to be charged at 32A, with an empty to full charge time of 13:30 hours.
Whilst the 32A CEE plug enables much faster charging, the challenge is that 32A sockets are rarely found other than in commercial/industrial premises. These travel adaptors enable connection to a range of sockets - the charging rate must never be set above 16A. The exception being the 32A 415v to 32A adaptor, which enables a full 32A charge.
Universal Schuko/French Adaptor
The universal CEE 7/7 adaptor fits both Schuko and French types sockets and is the main adaptor required for the majority of Europe and Scandinavia.
Traditional Italian Socket
New Bipasso Socket
Italian Adaptors 10A and 16A
Historically Italy has had its own specific socket, available in 10A and 16A versions. However, many buildings now have the Bipasso/Schuko socket, which can be used with both Italian (10A & 16A) and Schuko plugs.
The universal Schuko/French adaptor will therefore work anywhere in Italy where the Bipasso/Schuko socket is available. However the challenge may be in older buildings, where only traditional Italian sockets are provided.
Whilst many sockets in Italy will accept both 10A and 16A plugs, some will only accept one type, so for complete peace of mind both adaptors would be required. For 10A sockets, it is safer and more cost effective to use the standalone 13A adaptor.
Switzerland and Liechtenstein use their own specific socket, available in 10A and 16A versions. 10A plugs can be inserted into 16A sockets, but the reverse is not possible.
For complete peace of mind both adaptors would be required. For 10A sockets, it is safer and more cost effective to use the standalone 13A adaptor.
Denmark and Greenland use their own 16A socket. Whilst the socket looks similar to a Schuko/French socket, they must not be used together. Although they will fit, the earth will not be connected, which is extremely hazardous for EV charging. The Danish adaptor must be used for these sockets.
From 2008 French sockets were allowed to be fitted in Denmark, with Schuko sockets supported from 2011. The universal Schuko/French adaptor will therefore work in Denmark where either of these sockets are fitted. Data on their prevalence is not available, and so it is likely that in many places a Danish adaptor will still be required.
230v 16A CEE Adaptor
Found at campsites and marinas across the UK.
230v 32A CEE
Where a 32A socket is available, higher charging rates can be obtained by connecting the charger directly, using a 32A extension lead to extend the length if required. No adaptor is required.
- Splash proof IP44 rated 230v 32A socket, compatible with the Audi Compact Charger. May be either Menneke (pictured) or PCE branded.
- 0.4m of the largest diameter H07RN-F rubber cable which will safely fit the specific plug:
- 2.5mmsq - CEE 230v 16A, CEE 415v 16A, universal Schuko/French adaptor (16A), Danish adaptor (16A), Italian adaptor (16A), Swiss adaptor (16A).
- 6mmsq - CEE 415v 32A adaptor
- Industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- PAT tested.
If you require an adaptor which is not listed, please do get in touch, as we can make adaptors for almost any international socket, many from stock.