We were contacted by a number of woodworkers who had been using domestic plug in remote control adaptors with their dust extractors. Inevitably over time the units burnt out, and we were challenged to find a more robust solution.
Domestic type remote switches are great for controlling resistive loads, but any tool with a motor creates an inductive load (further explanation of load types can be found here). Turning on an inductive load does not cause an issue. However, when the relay contacts open to turn it off, the stored inductive energy in the motor coil is discharged, resulting in a damaging arc across the terminals. Our remote system uses a high quality branded contactor instead of a relay to switch the extractor. Contactors work using the same principle as a relay, but they are much larger and far better suited to switching higher current inductive loads.
Simply plug in the standalone remote control unit, and then plug your extractor into it. The unit is available with a range of connectors (230v 13A, 230v 16A and 110v 16A) and two operating options:
- Simple on/off - When the remote control 'ON' button is pressed the unit turns on, when the 'OFF' button is pressed it turns off immediately.
- Time delay - When the remote control 'ON' button is pressed the unit turns on, when the 'OFF' button is pressed it turns of after 10 seconds.
Supplied with 1 key fob. Visit the remote key fobs and switches page for additional switches:
- Extremely robust IP66 rated enclosure, dimensions L125mm x W125mm x D100mm.
- 22mm indicator displays green when the power to the unit is on, and red when the extractor is on.
- With the time delay unit, the delay is supplied set to 10 seconds. Any specific delay can be requested when ordering, and it can also be user adjusted by removing the front cover of the enclosure.
- Supplied with one remote keyfob with separate on/off buttons. Additional RF remote controls and RF switches can be connected by pressing the pairing button.
- Range up to 40m, using an encoded 433Mhz signal to reduce interference.
- Contactor rating:
|230v 13A||20A (AC-7a)||6.4A (AC-7b)|
|230v 16A||40A (AC-7a)||15A (AC-7b)|
|110v 16A||32A (AC-1)||18A (AC3)|
- 2m in, 0.4m out H07RN-F industrial quality harsh environment rubber cable with either 13A durable connectors, or a 16A German manufactured Menneke industrial connectors.
- If a no volt release switch (NVR) is fitted to the extractor, this will need to be bypassed.
- Not compatible with extractors fitted with a motor starter - use the standalone or Dustimate DoL units.
- May be wall mounted.
- Can be supplied with any length of cable or alternative plug/socket on request.
- PAT tested.
Advantages of a remote system:
- Reduces dust, improving the workshop environment.
- Saves power by running the extractor only when needed.
- Saves time.
- Reduces noise.
- Reduces heating bills (where extractor vents outside).
Please note that this is a stand alone unit, and is not compatible with the DUSTIMATE modular extractor control system (the separately available remote key fobs and switches are however compatible with both systems).