Enables appliances with an American 3 pin NEMA 5-15 (type B) plug and 2 pin
NEMA 1-15 (type A) plug to be used with a 13A UK (type G) socket.
- The adaptor is also compatible with type A (American two pin NEMA 1-15) plugs.
- The unit has a 13A fuse, which is a requirement in the UK for safety.
- Maximum load 13A.
- Please note that this adaptor does not convert the voltage. Please carefully check the appliance to ensure that it is suitable for use at 230v.
See our adaptor for using American appliances (e.g. power tools) in the UK through a 110v site transformer.
What is a type B plug?
A type B plug is pictured and the following technical details may also help to identify it:
|Common Names||Configuration||Voltage||Max Current (Amp)|
3 pins in a triangle
Live and Neutral pins: Rectangular, 1.5mm x 6.3mm wide, 15.9-18.3mm long, spaced 12.7 mm apart
Earth pin: Round or u-shaped, 4.8 mm diameter, 3.2 mm longer than the L/N pins.
Polarised (plug can only be inserted one way around)
What countries use a type B plug?
The plug is used in 47 countries. Please note that some countries may use a wide range of plugs; if you are unsure, check out our Travel Adaptors for UK Visitors Guide.
American Samoa, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Cayman Islands, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guam, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Lao People's Democratic Republic, Lebanon, Liberia, Mexico, Micronesia Federated States of, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Niger, Palau, Panama, Peru, Philippines Rep. of the, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Taiwan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, United States Virgin Islands, United States of America and Venezuela.
Why buy your travel adaptors from us?
All of our travel adaptors have been carefully selected following exhaustive tests, to ensure that they are entirely safe for use in the UK. They may not be the cheapest on-line, but we guarantee that they are the safest and most appropriate.
We began to sell travel adaptors after becoming concerned at the number of sub-standard unsafe adaptors being sold online, often with a number of seriously dangerous issues:
- The UK electrical system is the only domestic system in the world which is dependant on every plug or adaptor having it's own fuse. Without a fuse, the appliance will only be protected by the 32A socket circuit circuit breaker. As the appliance will be designed to be protected by a 10A or 16A fuse, if a fault develops the cable on the appliance, or the appliance itself may overheat.
- Unsheathed pins, increasing the risk of electrocution, particularly for children whose small fingers may be able to touch the live pin when the plug is only partially inserted.
- Non-shuttered sockets, enabling a child to insert a metal object into the live receptacle and receive an electric shock.
- Cannot safely manage the maximum current (power draw) that may occur from the rating of the socket they are recommended to be used with. This may lead to dangerous over-heating.
- Often do not connect the vital earth pin. Some appliances require an earth connection so that if a fault occurs and an external metal part becomes live, the earth wire safely conducts the electricity away, tripping the circuit breaker or blowing the fuse. If the earth is not connected, the metal will remain live, electrocuting anyone who touches it.