Whilst the UK has a rapidly developing network of EV charging points, charging from a domestic socket may still at times be required.
The electric supply in the UK is 230v 50Hz, which is the same as for all of Europe and Scandinavia. This means that all you need to charge your EV in the UK is the correct adaptor to connect the EV charger plug to a UK socket. Standard travel adaptors must not be used to charge an EV, as they are only suitable for low current applications, and often dangerously do not connect the earth.
In contrast to Europe, the UK only has two different types of socket in common use, which makes connection simple:
230v 13A Socket
The 13A socket is the only type used within the UK to power appliances. The plug has three rectangular blades in a triangular pattern.
Unlike any European plug, it has a small fuse fitted inside it. This is an important consideration, as the 13A fuse means that the maximum power which can be drawn from a UK socket is 13A.
As this is lower than the 16A available from European sockets, it is vital that the charging current on your EV is lowered to 10A. Using your normal 16A charging setting will blow the 13A fuse in the plug.
CEE 230v 16A Blue Socket
Found at campsites and marinas across the UK, these are the same as those used across Europe. You will not find them in domestic properties.
If you will be staying at a campsite or marina, these adaptor leads enable charging at the normal European 16A charge rate.
The picture below illustrates a typical application; an EV charger with a Schuko plug is connected to a UK 13A socket using the 13A UK plug to Schuko/French universal socket adaptor.
The Scuko/French adaptor is also ideal for the Citroen Ami, which is supplied with a CEE7/7 European (2 pin plug).
The CEE 16A adaptor enables granny chargers with a CEE7/7 European plug (including the Ami), to be charged from a 230v 16A IEC 60309 blue commando socket, which are commonly found at campsites and marinas.
Choosing the Correct Adaptor
Universal Schuko, French and European CEE 7/7
Swiss 10A and 16A (Type J)
Denmark (Type K)
Italian 16A (Type L)
- Tough UK 230v 13A plug or 16A CEE 60309 Menneke IP44 rated plug.
- Danish (16A), Schuko (16A), Italian (will accept 10A or 16A plugs) or Swiss (will accept 10A or 16A plugs) socket.
- Please note that whilst the Schuko and Swiss sockets are IP44 rated, the Danish and Italian sockets must be kept dry.
- The Schuko socket supplied may vary according to stock and have either a plastic spring loaded (pictured) or rubber push cover.
- 0.3mm of 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- PAT tested.