Heavy duty extension lead, designed to connect high power appliances with a standard 13A UK plug. It is not compatible with plug RCDs (an RCD plug is much larger than a standard 13A plug, and will have test/reset buttons) or 16A European plugs.
Available with either a standard switched double socket or a USB socket, handy for keeping mobile phones charged and powering gadgets.
Available with either:
- No RCD - Please only consider this option if you are sure that the socket you will be connecting the extension lead to is already RCD protected. See Do I need an RCD? for further guidance.
- In-line (30mA) RCD - An RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to reduce the risk of receiving a fatal electric shock. The unit is IP66 rated weatherproof. The in-line RCD is vital if the socket you will be connecting the extension lead to is not already RCD protected.
Due to the maximum rating of the UK 13A plug, the total load of the appliances connected to this double socket must not exceed 2,900W.
- 13A UK rubberised plug.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated high quality double switched Hamilton branded socket. An IP66 rating means that the socket is protected against powerful water jets.
- Supplied with standard double or USB socket (as selected). USB A socket rating 3.1A 5v total output.
- Can be wall mounted (front section must be rotated so that the cable gland is at the bottom). If wall mounted, as with any electrical enclosure, a small drain hole must be drilled at the bottom of the unit (where marked and according to the instructions provided). This is to reduce the risk of condensation building up.
- To guard against unauthorised access, the socket can be locked shut with a small padlock (max 5.5mm diameter) available here.
- 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- Due to the relatively high current used by EVs, we recommend checking the plug fuse clips remain tight annually, or if the plug ever feels warm, using these instructions.
- PAT tested.
Further recommended precautions if used near a body of water:
- The socket must be cited as far away as possible from any hazard and in no circumstances closer than 2m to any body of water (IET Wiring Regulation 702.32).
- In higher risk situations, the socket must be kept 30cm off the ground (IET Wiring Regulation 702.53).
It is the responsibility of the user to consider the IET Wiring Regulations, manufacturer's guidance, the safety of the supply and any other relevant risks, before deciding whether to use an extension lead for any given application. This is of particular importance in circumstances where there is an increased risk of electric shock. If in any doubt, consult an electrician.