The electricity supply in the UK is 230v 50Hz, which is the same as for all of Europe and Scandinavia. The 13A socket is the only domestic type used within the UK. The plug has three rectangular blades in a triangular pattern.
It is the only domestic plug in the world which has a small fuse fitted inside it, which is an important consideration:
- The 13A fuse means that the maximum power which can be drawn from a UK socket is 13A.
- All travel adaptors must contain a fuse. European appliances are designed to operate safely with sockets protected by a 16A circuit breaker. Without a proper fused adaptor, the only protection will be the main circuit 32A circuit breaker, which in the case of a fault may not trip, resulting in the appliance overheating.
A key feature of UK sockets is that the live and neutral connections (lower 2) are protected by shutters, which only open up when the longer earth pin (top) is inserted. This also prevents non-UK plugs from being forced in.
For lower current domestic applications, see our range of standard travel adaptors.
The picture below illustrates a typical application; an EV charger with a Schuko plug is connected to a UK 13A socket using the universal Schuko, French and European CEE 7/7 adaptor.
Choosing the Correct Adaptor
Universal Schuko, French and European CEE 7/7
Swiss 10A and 16A (Type J)
Denmark (Type K)
Italian 16A (Type L)
South African and UK Stage Lighting BS546 15A (Type M)
- Tough UK 230v 13A plug.
- Danish (16A), Schuko (16A), Italian (will accept 10A or 16A plugs), Swiss (will accept 10A or 16A plugs) or South African/UK Stage Lighting BS546 15A socket.
- Please note that whilst the Schuko socket is IP44 rated, all other socket types must be kept dry.
- The Schuko socket supplied may vary according to stock and have either a plastic spring loaded (pictured) or rubber push cover.
- 0.3mm of 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- PAT tested.