Originally designed working with EV owners, this lead has grown to become our best selling product and continues to receive really positive reviews in online forums. It is the only weatherproof extension lead available in the UK with a socket which can accommodate the chunkier 13A plugs now fitted to many EVs.
It simply connects to a UK 13A socket, and enables the granny charger to be extended by 2m to 25m.
The enclosure houses a high quality single socket, which can be locked shut using a padlock available separately here.
Please see our article on safely charging electric vehicles for advice on extension leads. We know that deciding on the right temporary charging solution can be more complicated than anyone would first think - please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help in any way.
The weatherproof socket's IP66 rating means that it remains watertight, even when subject to powerful water jets from any direction. Unlike any DIY store extension leads which are often sold as 'weatherproof', this lead can actually be used for prolonged periods outside.
13A UK plugs do not fit through standard sized letter boxes. If the cable needs to be put through a letterbox or other small opening, purchase the lead you require, and then add on our letterbox connector.
Whilst standard DIY store extension leads are manufactured from plastic connectors and cheap, easy to damage 1.25mmsq max PVC cable, these leads are in a different league. They are carefully constructed in our UK workshop from European manufactured (subject to stock) 1.5mmsq H07RN-F rubber cable, which is specifically manufactured for harsh environments; its safety and performance under extreme conditions simply cannot be beaten. The IP66 weatherproof socket provides protection even against powerful water jets (so it can withstand even the Great British Weather!) and has proven itself over the years as an exceptionally robust unit.
An RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to reduce the risk of receiving a fatal electric shock. Leads are available with:
Not having an RCD is appropriate when you are sure that the socket the extension lead will be connected to is already RCD protected. See Do I need an RCD? for further guidance.
Instead of a normal 13A plug, the lead has a larger plug RCD. It provides a more cost effective option when the extension will only be connected to indoor sockets.
Although it is IP55 rated and has a unique design with the plug pins at the top to enable it to fit into most outdoor sockets, the unit will stop the socket cover from closing. Where the extension will regularly be connected to an outdoor socket, the in-line RCD is therefore recommended.
|The unit is weatherproof with an IP66 rating. As the extension has a standard 13A plug fitted before the RCD, it fits all outdoor sockets and enables the socket cover to fully close.|
We offer a range of cable storage solutions to keep your lead neat and tidy.
- Available in 2m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m (RCD only) and 25m (RCD only) lengths - select the required length from the drop down list above.
- Please note that RCDs are active units, which means that the reset button must be pressed each time the power is reconnected. They will therefore not function if plugged into a socket controlled by a timer.
- 13A rubberised plug or RCD.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated exceptional quality 13A socket, for connection to the 13A plug on a 'granny' charger. An IP66 rating means that the socket is protected against powerful water jets.
- Can be wall mounted - see guide.
- To guard against unauthorised access, the socket can be locked shut with a small padlock (max 5.5mm diameter) available here.
- 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- Always ensure that leads are fully uncoiled before use, as coiled leads can become warm when used at high currents.
- Please contact us for custom lengths.
- Due to the relatively high current used by EVs, we recommend checking the plug fuse clips remain tight annually, or if the plug ever feels warm, using these instructions.
- Never plug an extension lead into another extension lead.
- PAT tested.
- N.B. this lead is not compatible with the Citroen Ami, which is supplied with a European CCEE 7/7 2 pin plug. Please see this lead.
- It is the responsibility of the EV user to consider the manufacturers guidance, the safety of the supply and any other risks, before deciding whether to use an extension lead with an EV charger.
- Given varying advice from manufacturers and varying risks in a whole myriad of charging scenarios, we cannot make a blanket recommendation that an extension lead should be used. Tough Leads simply supply high quality extension leads which are compatible with the 13A plug fitted to EV chargers. Compatibility with the charger itself is not inferred or implied. It is down to the user to determine the appropriateness of the application; if in any doubt, consult an electrician. Tough Leads therefore cannot accept responsibility for any damage caused as a result of using an extension lead.
- Never plug an EV extension lead into another extension lead.
- Some EV granny chargers have a button to adjust the charge rate, which should never exceed 10A. Unfortunately, non-compliant units sold on major online market places sometimes allow 13A to be selected. This is dangerous and likely to lead to damage to the plug on the charger, extension lead or socket.