Originally designed working with EV owners, this lead has grown to become our best selling product and continues to receive really positive reviews on online forums. It is the only weatherproof extension lead available in the UK, with a socket which can accommodate the chunkier 13A plugs now fitted to many EVs.
It simply connects to a UK 13A socket, and enables the granny charger to be extended by 2m to 25m.
The socket enclosure houses a high quality single socket.
Please see our article on safely charging electric vehicles for advice on extension leads. We know that deciding on the right temporary charging solution can be more complicated than anyone would first think - please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help in any way.
Whilst standard DIY store extension leads are manufactured from plastic connectors and cheap, easy to damage 1.25mmsq max PVC cable, these leads are in a different league. They are carefully constructed in our workshop from European manufactured (subject to stock) 1.5mmsq H07RN-F rubber cable, which is specifically manufactured for harsh environments; its safety and performance under extreme conditions simply cannot be beaten. The IP66 weatherproof socket provides protection even against powerful water jets (so it can withstand even the Great British Weather!) and has proven itself over the years as an exceptionally robust unit.
Available with either:
- No RCD - Please only consider this option if you are sure that the socket you will be connecting the extension lead to is already RCD protected. See Do I need an RCD? for further guidance.
- In-line (30mA) RCD - An RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to reduce the risk of receiving a fatal electric shock. The unit is IP66 rated weatherproof. The in-line RCD is vital if the socket you will be connecting the extension lead to is not already be RCD protected. Please note that the normal RCD pictured is currently out of stock in the UK until 20/06/21 - leads may be supplied with a suitable IP65 or IP66 rated alternative.
- Plug RCD - As above, but the RCD is built into the plug, which must only be used indoors and will not fit into an outside socket.
If you need to store your cable neatly, click on one of the range of carefully selected storage solutions below:
|Velcro tie||H Frame||
If the cable needs to be put through a letterbox or other small opening, purchase the lead you require, and then add on our letterbox connector.
- Available in 2m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m (RCD only) and 25m (RCD only) lengths - select the required length from the drop down list above.
- Please note that the RCDs are active units, which means that the reset button must be pressed each time the power is reconnected.
- 13A rubberised plug.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated exceptional quality 13A socket, for connection to the 13A plug on a 'granny' charger.
- Socket can be locked shut with a small padlock with a maximum diameter of 5.5mm (not included).
- 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperate range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- Always ensure that leads are fully uncoiled before use, as coiled leads can become warm when used at high currents.
- Please contact us for custom lengths.
- Due to the relatively high current used by EVs, we recommend checking the plug fuse clips remain tight annually, or if the plug ever feels warm, using these instructions.
- PAT tested.
It is the responsibility of the EV user to consider the manufacturers guidance, the safety of the supply and any other risks, before deciding whether to use an extension lead with an EV charger. Given varying advice from manufacturers and varying risks in a whole myriad of charging scenarios, we cannot make a blanket recommendation that an extension lead should be used. Tough Leads simply supply high quality extension leads which are compatible with the 13A plug fitted to EV chargers. Compatibility with the charger itself is not inferred or implied. It is down to the user to determine the appropriateness of the application; if in any doubt, consult an electrician. Tough Leads therefore cannot accept responsibility for any damage caused as a result of using an extension lead.