Following requests from customers wanting to take advantage of cheaper off-peak electricity tariffs to charge EVs without a built-in timer, we've combined our popular EV extension and timer units into one versatile solution.
Standard domestic plug in timers and smart sockets generally use a relatively small relay. Whilst this is sufficient for normal use around the home, they are prone to damage or a shorter operating life when used with higher current appliances, such as EV granny chargers. In contrast, our units use a relay rated at 30A resistive (20A inductive).
Available in two configurations:
- Manually set timer - Required on/off sequences are set using the buttons on the timer unit. Set time sequences can be over-ridden by pressing the manual button e.g. to force the unit to remain on.
- Wi-Fi control with metering - Required on/off sequences are set using a mobile phone app, which also provides the ability to see the status of the unit. Unit can be over-ridden either using the button on the unit itself of via the app. The unit includes a remote meter facility, enabling real time and historical trend analysis.
Both configurations are available with:
- No RCD - Please only consider this option if you are sure that the socket you will be connecting the extension lead to is already RCD protected. See Do I need an RCD? for further guidance.
- RCD - A RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to reduce the risk of receiving a fatal electric shock. The RCD is provided within the timer enclosure.
The unit simply connects to a UK 13A socket, and enables the granny charger to be extended by 2m to 25m with timer/Wi-Fi functionality.
The enclosure houses a high quality single socket, which can be locked shut using a padlock available separately here.
Please see our article on safely charging electric vehicles for advice on extension leads. We know that deciding on the right temporary charging solution can be more complicated than anyone would first think - please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help in any way.
The weatherproof socket's IP66 rating means that it remains watertight, even when subject to powerful water jets from any direction. Unlike any DIY store extension leads which are often sold as 'weatherproof', this lead can actually be used for prolonged periods outside.
13A UK plugs do not fit through standard sized letter boxes. If the output cable needs to be put through a letterbox or other small opening, purchase the lead you require, and then add on our letterbox connector.
We offer a range of cable storage solutions to keep your lead neat and tidy.
Manual Timer Specification:
- Digital programmable time switch.
- Up to 16 on/off periods can be set for each day, minimum 1 min apart.
- Manual over-ride to select permanently on or off.
- Easy to program using clearly marked buttons.
- Battery back-up to retain settings when power is disconnected (continual power provided for up to 3 years).
Wi-Fi Control with Metering Specification:
The unit can be programmed using either the Tuya or Smart Life App and can be integrated with Google Home, Amazon Alexa and other Wi-Fi based platforms. Functions within the Smart Life App include:
- Manual off/off control via any IoS Apple or Android phone or tablet.
- Countdown timer - The unit will turn on after the pre-set time.
- Maximum duration timer - When turned on the unit will only operate for a defined maximum period of time.
- Scheduled timer e.g. On Monday 07:00, off Monday 17:00.
- Random timer - Unit will turn on and off randomly during pre-set times.
- Scenes - Can be triggered by a separate (not supplied) senor or Wi-Fi button e.g. A temperature below 19C will turn the unit on.
A WiFi connection is required to enable the unit to be switched on/off, or for the timer to be programmed. However, once programmed, the timer function will continue to operate without WiFi. Where WiFi is not available at all, a stand alone plug in timer is also available here.
Extension Lead Specification:
- Available in 2m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m (RCD only) and 25m (RCD only) lengths - select the required length from the drop down list above.
- 13A rubberised plug.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated exceptional quality 13A socket, for connection to the 13A plug on a 'granny' charger. An IP66 rating means that the socket is protected against powerful water jets.
- Timer unit and socket be wall mounted - see guide.
- To guard against unauthorised access, the socket can be locked shut with a small padlock (max 5.5mm diameter) available here.
- 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- Always ensure that leads are fully uncoiled before use, as coiled leads can become warm when used at high currents.
- Please contact us for custom lengths.
- Due to the relatively high current used by EVs, we recommend checking the plug fuse clips remain tight annually, or if the plug ever feels warm, using these instructions.
- Never plug an extension lead into another extension lead.
- PAT tested.
- It is the responsibility of the EV user to consider the manufacturers guidance, the safety of the supply and any other risks, before deciding whether to use an extension lead with an EV charger.
- Given varying advice from manufacturers and varying risks in a whole myriad of charging scenarios, we cannot make a blanket recommendation that an extension lead should be used. Tough Leads simply supply high quality extension leads which are compatible with the 13A plug fitted to EV chargers. Compatibility with the charger itself is not inferred or implied. It is down to the user to determine the appropriateness of the application; if in any doubt, consult an electrician. Tough Leads therefore cannot accept responsibility for any damage caused as a result of using an extension lead.
- Never plug an EV extension lead into another extension lead.
- Some EV granny chargers have a button to adjust the charge rate, which should never exceed 10A. Unfortunately, non-compliant units sold on major online market places sometimes allow 13A to be selected. This is dangerous and likely to lead to damage to the plug on the charger, extension lead or socket.