Heavy duty extension lead, designed to connect high power appliances with a standard 13A UK plug. It is not compatible with plug RCDs (an RCD plug is much larger than a standard 13A plug, and will have test/reset buttons) or 16A European plugs.
The weatherproof socket's IP66 rating means that it remains watertight, even when subject to powerful water jets from any direction. Unlike any DIY store extension leads which are often sold as 'weatherproof', this lead can actually be used for prolonged periods outside.
An RCD is a life-saving device which is designed to reduce the risk of receiving a fatal electric shock. Leads are available with:
Not having an RCD is appropriate when you are sure that the socket the extension lead will be connected to is already RCD protected. See Do I need an RCD? for further guidance.
|The unit is weatherproof with an IP66 rating. As the extension has a standard 13A plug fitted before the RCD, it fits all outdoor sockets and enables the socket cover to fully close.|
Whilst standard DIY store extension leads are manufactured from plastic connectors and cheap, easy to damage 1.25mmsq max PVC cable, these leads are in a different league. They are carefully constructed in our UK workshop from European manufactured (subject to stock) H07RN-F 1.5mmsq rubber cable, which is specifically manufactured for harsh environments; its safety and performance under extreme conditions simply cannot be beaten.
We offer a range of cable storage solutions to keep your lead neat and tidy.
- 13A UK rubberised plug.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated high quality Hamilton branded socket. An IP66 rating means that the socket is protected against powerful water jets.
- Can be wall mounted - see guide.
- To guard against unauthorised access, the socket can be locked shut with a small padlock (max 5.5mm diameter) available here.
- 1.5mmsq industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about our cables.
- Always ensure that leads are fully uncoiled before use, as coiled leads can become warm when used at high currents.
- Due to the relatively high current used by hot tubs, we recommend checking the plug fuse clips remain tight annually, or if the plug ever feels warm, using these instructions.
- PAT tested.
Further recommended precautions if used near a body of water:
- The socket must be cited as far away as possible from any hazard and in no circumstances closer than 2m to any body of water (IET Wiring Regulation 702.32).
- In higher risk situations, the socket must be kept 30cm off the ground (IET Wiring Regulation 702.53).
It is the responsibility of the user to consider the IET Wiring Regulations, manufacturer's guidance, the safety of the supply and any other relevant risks, before deciding whether to use an extension lead for any given application. This is of particular importance in circumstances where there is an increased risk of electric shock. If in any doubt, consult an electrician.