Using an EV granny charger in the UK is relatively simple, as domestic locations only have standard 13A sockets. In contrast, charging abroad can be a confusing minefield, with a range of different sockets which look deceptively similar, yet may be incompatible even when they physically fit together.
Following extensive research and feedback from frustrated EV users, we developed the ModulEV EV charging extension system. ModulEV is a modular system, which enables the charging of an EV both within the UK and across Europe and Scandinavia. It provides a unique, simple, cost effective, compact and expandable solution:
- Connect the granny charger's 13A plug to the ModulEV 13A socket.
- The total length can be increased to a maximum of 25m by adding modular extension cables. The RCD module must be used for lengths over 15m.
- Use the lead as an extension cable in the UK by connecting to the UK 13A adaptor.
- When you travel abroad, purchase the appropriate adaptor/s for the countries your journey will take you through. The ModulEV universal Schuko/French adaptor can be connected to both Schuko and French sockets, providing a single solution for the majority of Europe and Scandinavia. A range of other adaptors are available to ensure that you can charge from any suitable domestic and many commercial sockets across Europe and Scandinavia.
- Each adaptor can be swapped within seconds by simply pressing the catch and twisting.
- Modular system enables expansion of the system as your travels progress.
The ModulEV socket leads consist of a modular connector and a socket, which will not work on its own; at least one plug adaptor is required.
The ModulEV 13A socket unit is fitted with a weatherproof IP65 modular connector. Following an extensive search for a suitable connector and months of testing, we chose this one as it is widely being adopted as the universal standard for stage/event lighting. Its compact size (it can easily pass through a letter box or other restricted space), reliability and unique twist/lock design, make it ideal for this application. It is shown below against a standard CEE commando connector for scale:
1. The 10m ModulEV 13A socket lead is connected to the 13A UK adaptor to create an extension lead to use with a 'granny' charger within the UK.
2. When travelling to France the UK adaptor is removed by simply pressing the button on the ModulEV connector and turning it 90 degrees. The Schuko/French adaptor is then connected; a change which takes a matter of seconds.
3. In Denmark the socket is further away from the EV, so a 10m modular extension cable is used in between the Danish adaptor and the ModulEV 13A socket lead.
Choosing the Correct Adaptor
The table below details the most common domestic and industrial 230v single phase sockets in use across the World. If you are not sure which adaptor you require, we're always happy to advise.
ModulEV Granny Charger Connector (Required)
The 13A socket module forms the basis of any system, fitted with 2m, 5m, 10m or 15m of cable.
Modular Extension Cables
Modular extension cables can be used to extend the ModulEV adaptor. More than one lead can be used to extend the total overall length to a maximum of 25m. The RCD module must be used for lengths over 15m.
The RCD module is recommended when the supply may not be RCD protected (see our guide) or if the total length of the lead will be over 15m. RCD may differ from the unit pictured.
UK 13A Adaptor
Enables the lead to be connected to domestic sockets within the UK, so that it can be used as your main 'granny' charger extension lead.
Universal Schuko/French Adaptor
The universal CEE 7/7 adaptor fits both Schuko and French sockets and is the main adaptor required for the majority of Europe and Scandinavia.
Traditional Italian Socket
New Bipasso Socket
Italian Adaptors 10A and 16A
Historically Italy has had its own specific socket, available in 10A and 16A versions. However, many buildings now have the Bipasso/Schuko socket, which can be used with both Italian and Schuko plugs.
The universal Schuko/French adaptor will therefore work anywhere in Italy where the Bipasso/Schuko socket is available. However the challenge may be in older buildings, where only traditional Italian sockets are provided.
Whilst many sockets in Italy will accept both 10A and 16A plugs, some will only accept one type, so for complete peace of mind both adaptors would be required. Please note that use of the 10A adaptor will limit charging to 10A and this must be dialled down on your EV.
Switzerland and Liechtenstein use their own specific socket, available in 10A and 16A versions. 10A plugs can be inserted into 16A sockets, but the reverse is not possible.
For complete peace of mind both adaptors would be required. Alternatively just the 10A version could be used as it will fit both sockets, although please note that with the 10A, adaptor charging will be limited to 10A and this must be dialled down on your EV.
Denmark and Greenland use their own 16A socket. Whilst the socket looks similar to a Schuko/French socket, they must not be used together. Although they will fit, the earth will not be connected, which is extremely hazardous for EV charging. The Danish adaptor must be used for these sockets.
From 2008 French sockets were allowed to be fitted in Denmark, with Schuko sockets supported from 2011. The universal Schuko/French adaptor will therefore work in Denmark where either of these sockets are fitted. Data on their prevalence is not available, and so it is likely that in many places a Danish adaptor will still be required.
CEE 230v 16A Adaptor
The 230v 16A adaptor enables the ModuEV 13A socket to be connected to the blue 16A CEE sockets which are found at campsites and marinas across Europe. In the UK these are always wired in a standard way, but in Europe the polarity may be reversed. If the socket tested indicates that the polarity is reverse, insert the polarity reversal lead.
Available with either a standard plug, or with a special T plug/socket which allows allows a caravan or other 16A appliance to also be connected at the same time.
CEE 415v 16A Adaptor
The 415v 16A adaptor enables the EV travel adaptor to be connected to these sockets, which are commonly used in industrial locations and power installations at temporary sites.
We offer a range of cable storage solutions to keep your lead neat and tidy.
- Weatherproof IP66 rated high quality Hamilton branded socket. An IP66 rating means that the socket is protected against powerful water jets.
- To guard against unauthorised access, the socket can be locked shut with a small padlock (max 5.5mm diameter) available here.
- Weatherproof IP65 modular connector.
- Extension use 1.5mmsq cable for high current applications available in 2m, 5m, 10m and 15m lengths.
- Adaptors use 0.3m of the largest diameter H07RN-F rubber cable which will safely fit the specific plug:
- 1.5mmsq - Universal Schuko/French adaptor (16A), Danish adaptor (16A), Italian adaptor (16A), Swiss adaptor (16A), UK (13A), IEC 230v (16A), IEC 415v (16A).
- 1mmsq - Italian adaptor (10A), Swiss adaptor (10A)
- Industrial specification H07RN-F rubber cable, specifically manufactured for harsh environments with high mechanical, chemical, water and UV resistance. Flexibility and performance is retained over a wide temperature range (-25 to 55°C). Find out what’s so special about this cable.
- PAT tested.
If you require an adaptor which is not listed, please do get in touch, as we can make adaptors for almost any international socket, many from stock.